The Berkeley family welcome you to Berkeley Castle, their ancient fortress home where they have lived since their ancestor, Robert Fitzharding, completed the Keep in the late 12th Century.
The history played out within Berkeley Castle’s walls make it one of the most remarkable buildings in Britain and the family hope that you will visit them to experience its special atmosphere.
OCTOBER AT BERKELEY CASTLE
COME TO OUR FESTIVAL OF HARVEST ON SUNDAY 2nd OCTOBER
- Pete Tiley, landlord of the Berkeley Estate's, Salutation Inn will be waiting to meet you in the Castle's Beer Cellar. Learn all about the brewing process and sample some ales from our CAMRA award winning pub
- Napier Catering, our fantastic wedding and Yurt Tearoom caterers will be in the Buttery, enjoy cookery demonstrations from their highly skilled chefs and try some samples too
- Berkeley's very own Belgian Chocolate shop will be popping up
- Sample and purchase delicious chutneys and cheeses in our medieval kitchens
- Meet real farm animals in our Inner Bailey
- Look out for harvest displays throughout the Castle with corn dollies, flower arrangements and other local crafts to see
- Watch Morris Dancers in and around the Castle
- and lots more to see too, all included in the normal admission fee
Please note that due to the nature of this event our Guided Tours will not take place on 2 October. Guides will be positioned in rooms throughout the Castle and look forward to meeting you and answering any questions you may have.
HALLOWEEN CASTLE THRILLS FROM SUNDAY 23rd - WEDNESDAY 26th OCTOBER - open till 7pm every day
- Creep down to our cellars if you dare and meet our Wizards & Witches as they stir up some wicked spells and potions
- Venture into the Great Hall from 4.30pm every day to see owls swooping around and take some fantastic photos too
- Come dressed as a Witch or Wizard, join our fancy dress parade in the Great Hall at 6pm every day - you could win a prize!
- Carve your own pumpkin to take home and leave all the mess with us!
- Call into the Yurt Tearoom for a halloween themed treat
- Bring wellies and a torch, explore the Castle after dark as we stay open until 7pm each day (last entry 6pm)
- Enjoy delicious hot snacks, toffee apples and drinks from our pop-up take-away in the Castle grounds
LIGHTS, CAMERA, ACTION!
If you're planning to visit us on 26th, 27th, 28th September, be prepared for more action than normal! We have some very exciting film projects taking place here over those dates, this will mean that some outdoor and indoor areas of the Castle will be dressed accordingly and some rooms may be unavailable for short periods whilst scenes are being shot. Keep your eyes peeled - you may spot someone famous!
POLDARK RETURNS TO OUR SCREENS WITH A FEW FAMILIAR BACKDROPS!
We were thrilled when the BBC chose Berkeley Castle to film many scenes for their multi-award winning series, Wolf Hall, our visitors have enjoyed spotting where Mark Rylance, Claire Foy and their fellow actors played out many of those famous scenes.
We're equally delighted to announce that the Castle has also been used for the filming of Poldark, series 2. Keep your eyes peeled and see if you can spot us when the new series is aired from Sunday 4th September!